As more and more people are becoming eager to help protect the environment by saving and reusing materials, DIY home improvement projects are becoming increasingly popular. These ideas are great examples of an easy project that will not only make use of your old door, but also add some pizzazz to your home!
- HeadboardsAdding a headboard to your bed can give just about any space some fantastic traditional appeal. Using an old door as a headboard creates a natural focal point in a bedroom that can create the illusion of class and whimsy, especially when paired with items like these flowing curtains and chandelier.
- ChalkboardsTurning your old door into a family chore chalkboard or a weekly calendar is an easy and fun way to keep your family organized. You can purchase chalkboard paint from your local hardware store and paint as you would ordinary house paint. Hang the finished door somewhere your whole family can see it and keep different colors of chalk nearby for easy individual scheduling!
- TablesThis charming keepsake table uses a lovely old windowed door to create a great storage spot for knickknacks. Not only does it let you display items without taking up unnecessary space in your home, but it keeps them safe and dust-free. This table would make a lovely addition to any room and shouldn’t be too hard of a project for a skilled DIY-er!
- Beds and DaybedsThis bed uses a pair of old wooden door to create a lovely bed frame that would add extra dimension to any rustically elegant bedroom. If you want a more polished look, you can sand and repaint the doors before attaching them to your existing bed frame.
- MirrorsInstalling a piece of mirror in the window frame of an old door is a great way to create a charming mirror that will add some light and class to any room. Easy to hang in any area of the house, they can be ragged and rustic or polished and freshly painted to complement your décor.
- StorageA more advanced DIY project, this storage unit has space for bins as well as coat hooks and even a bench! A perfect addition to a large front hall, it will help keep your family organized and green. It could also be used in a kitchen to store pots and pans, cookbooks or other household items.
- Picture framesThis charming frame holds a series of old family photographs and adds a nice personal touch to any room. Painted in a nice, bold contrast, it is an attractive accent piece that makes great use of your old doors.