If you have a small guest bedroom in your home, there are plenty of ways to make the most of the space you have! By following the guest bedroom ideas in this article, you will have a serene and relaxing space that you can be proud of.
Check out these 14 small guest bedroom ideas that will make the space feel bigger, brighter, and more comfortable for when your friends and family come to visit.
Let’s get started!
1. Keep the Space Streamlined and Clutter-Free
Make your guest bedroom feel clean, crisp, and spacious by getting rid of unnecessary clutter. There is nothing soothing, calming, or luxurious about a messy space, which is why managing clutter is first on our list of small guest bedroom ideas.
2. Have Enough Storage Space
In line with making your guest bedroom feel more neat and clean, make sure that you have enough storage solutions in the room. There should be space for the guest’s belongings, toiletries, and other essentials such as towels and spare linen. When it comes to sprucing up a small guest bedroom, each square foot counts. Here are some ways you can try to get creative with your storage and free up more floor space:
- Have space-saving shelves installed.
- Get cabinets that are taller instead of wider.
- Get a smaller bed with storage drawers underneath.
3. Consider Getting a Clothing Rack
Next up on our list of small guest bedroom ideas, we have clothing racks.
If you don’t have space for a closet, a rack can give your guests the space they need for their clothes. The right style of clothing rack can also add an aesthetic touch to the room’s design. Lastly, these relatively open types of furniture create the illusion of more space because they do not obstruct light or block walls.
4. Don't Forget to Add a Mirror
Installing a mirror is one of the small guest bedroom ideas that can enhance any space. It comes with the following benefits:
- Guests will appreciate the convenience of having a full-length mirror.
- A mirror will make small guest bedrooms seem larger.
- When positioned well, mirrors will increase the overall brightness of the room.
Here are a few tips when getting a mirror for your small guest bedroom:
- Get a mirror that can be affixed to the wall to free up more floor space.
- If you’re into Feng Shui-inspired interior design, mirrors at the foot of the bed are not considered favourable.
5. Consider Chrome Accents and Reflective Decor
Reflective decor, chrome accents on furniture, or chrome-coloured lighting fixtures are surfaces from which light bounces off. Similar to mirrors, these elements help make a room feel brighter.
6. Go with Lighter Neutral Shades
By opting for lighter neutral shades (e.g. off-white, light beige, light duck egg blue), you can add a touch of elegance to your guest bedroom while also making the space feel larger and brighter. Lighter shades of wall paint bounce back light the same way that mirrors and reflective surfaces do.
7. Try Pendant Lights and Sconces
This next item on our list of small guest bedroom ideas is a must for really small spaces. Free up floor space in your guest bedroom by taking out both nightstands. Instead, opt for pendant lights or sconces that are affixed to the ceiling and wall, respectively.
This design tweak doesn’t just free up space—it adds a unique charm to the room as well!
8. Consider a Daybed or a Sofa Bed
Why cram a queen-sized bed into a small room when you can opt for either a day bed or a double sofa bed? These types of furniture make the room feel larger and less cluttered. Moreover, you will have a versatile space that you can use when you don’t have guests over.
9. Introduce a Reading Nook or Sitting Area
No space for a lounge, loveseat, or armchair for your small guest bedroom? No problem. By getting a bay window for your guest bedroom, you will easily be able to extend your interior space. These windows project outwards and are perfect for accommodating a reading nook or sitting area.
10. Get Space-Saving Furniture That Expose the Floor Underneath
When shopping for furniture for small guest bedrooms, get ones that have long legs that expose the floor underneath. Because these types of furniture allow the floor to extend under them visually, it creates a look and feel of added space. A small choice like this can make all the difference!
11. Choose Statement Art Pieces
Instead of having small paintings dotting the walls, go for a large art piece instead. This helps to make the room feel larger, more spacious, and far less cluttered. It adds a touch of sophistication to the room as well. Make sure to choose art (or maybe create your own) that cultivates feelings of relaxation.
12. Set Up a Versatile Table Space
Getting one table for all functions is one of our top small guest bedroom ideas! In case your guests want to work, have a snack in their room, and so on, get one long (but thin) desk fit for all uses. You can also have it mounted to the wall in order to save more floor space.
13. Incorporate Greenery
14. Choose Your Windows Carefully
Light up your guest room and make it appear larger with carefully chosen windows. Bay windows, as we mentioned earlier, can also serve as a space extender for a reading nook or sitting area.
There are many types of windows you can experiment with to make a small guest bedroom look more spacious:
- Get a large combination window to let in plenty of sunlight and showcase the view.
- Put fixed windows right in the corner of the room for a touch of modern design.
Get Customized Energy-Efficient Windows for Your Guest Room
This wraps up our list of small guest bedroom ideas. If you’re looking for the perfect windows for your guest room, we’re here to help!
Get the perfect customized windows you’ve always envisioned. Contact our team for a FREE estimate!