Do you have exciting plans for your basement renovation? Are you converting it into an extra bedroom for guests, a personal library, or an entertainment room? That definitely calls for spanking new basement windows.
In this informative guide, we cover everything you need to know about basement window installation. Continue reading to learn more!
3 Signs It’s Time to Get Replacement Basement Windows
If you have no clue whether your existing basement windows are due for a replacement or not, watch out for these clear indications.
1. The Opening and Closing Mechanisms Are Defective
If you cannot close it shut, it means your home’s security is compromised. On the other hand, if you cannot open the basement windows, it’s going to feel hot and stuffy in there during summer months because of poor ventilation.
2. There’s a Draft or Condensation Between the Glass Panes
When your basement windows are not weather-proofed properly, it’s going to make it uncomfortable, which is a big deal if you’re using it as a bedroom or as a functional room for the kids to play in or your private study. This also means that you may be wasting money on utility cost unnecessarily.
3. Your Basement Is Damp or Has Mould
Both are telltale signs that your basement windows are not well sealed and are locking moisture inside. This should be addressed immediately because if not, it can damage your books, wooden furniture, and walls as well.
Requirements for Basement Egress Windows
According to the National Building Code of Canada (NBCC), egress windows for all rooms around the house must meet specific size requirements of 0.35 square meters (3.8 square feet) with a dimension no less than 380 millimetres (15 inches). Egress windows cannot go higher than 1.5 meters above the floor. The basement egress window must be large enough to fit an adult to provide an exit in case of fire and other emergencies.
If you are going to use the basement as a spare bedroom or recreational area where you will be spending a lot of time, egress basement window installation must be done. The same rules apply for basement egress windows, except that you are required to provide a step for easy access. When you call Clera Windows + Doors for basement window installation, our team will give you a free home estimate and make expert recommendations regarding suitable dimensions and other specifics related to local building code.
Different Types of Basement Windows
Here’s a selection of the most popular types of basement windows for installation.
Attached to the frames by hinges and are installed on the side. They can be in single or in pairs. Casement window opens outwards. However, there are also forms of casement windows that have hinges at the bottom called “hopper.”
Double or single-hung vinyl windows come with a classic colonial charm. For double-hung windows, both top and bottom sash move to open vertically while on a single hung window, only the bottom sash opens.
Sliding Basement Windows
Sliding windows open horizontally to the side. They are great if you do not have sufficient space out front to accommodate a window that opens outward. They provide remarkable air ventilation benefits and give unobstructed views of the outdoors.
Getting only awning windows for the basement is not recommended because they do not qualify as ideal egress windows.
Window Treatment Ideas for Basement Windows
Whether prettiness or privacy, you will be pleased to know that there are a number of beautiful window treatments to dress up your basement windows. Transform an otherwise boring basement into a cozy and livable space for you and the whole family to enjoy.
Here are some of our top favourites:
- Plantation Shutters
- Stained glass
It’s impossible to go wrong regardless of whatever of these window treatment options you choose for your basement window installation because they all hit the sweet spot when it comes to comfort and chic.
Practical Tips to Make Basement Windows Secured
If you have basement window wells, make it a point to employ some security and safety measures in place against potential burglars or accidents wherein small children or pets fall in and get trapped.
- Put safety gates or gates around your basement window well.
Egress requirements dictate that they are operable inside and that they do not require any special tools or skills so that it’s easy to open in case of emergency.
- Select windows that are equipped with efficient lock mechanisms.
Check the locks every night before going to bed or before stepping out of the house for work.
- Do not hide your basement windows with potted plants or overgrown shrubs.
The leafiness will only attract perpetrators because it’ll give them an excellent camouflage and keep them out of sight from neighbours or passersby.
- When you call in for basement window installation, ask about sturdier options for glass.
- Make sure your property is well-lit to deter malicious mischief.
- Avoid putting cabinets, couches, or tables near your basement windows, which only make forced entry easier.
- Conceal views of your interiors by selecting one-way mirrors or frosted glass for your basement window installation.
How Much Does It Cost to Put in a Basement Window?
Basement window replacement can cost anywhere from $430 to $1500. The rates may go higher if you are going to include professional fees for concrete cut out, trenching, or building a window well. To save on basement window installation, check your home whether other rooms are now due for new replacement windows. Chances are, there’s only going to be a slight difference in installation cost when you have only a single basement window installed versus having everything done altogether.
Basement Window Installation By Clera
Clera Windows + Doors boasts of an extensive collection of elegantly designed and premium-quality interior windows and also offers interior window installation service.
Why choose Clera Windows + Doors for your basement window installation?
- We are a major Canadian provider with over 40 years of experience in the industry.
- We have an extensive collection of vinyl windows and doors to suit your taste and functionality requirements. We can also accommodate custom-made specialty shaped vinyl windows.
- All our products are all made according to the highest quality standards and have an excellent Energy STAR rating.
- We have a Window Wise certified installation team that does everything perfectly and professionally consistently.
- Because Clera Windows + Doors is a one-stop-shop, we take care of everything, from manufacturing, installation, and maintenance. You get a hassle-free experience and a true lifetime warranty with us.
Shop at Clera Windows + Doors for your window requirements and avail of our professional basement window installation service. To request a free home estimate, contact us today!